Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Trains, Turkey, and Hurricane Sandy



Guess who has at least six fingers and is on a train!

Ok, I guess that could be a lot of people but I was talking about myself. That’s right ladies and gentle-bees, I am writing from a train.

I am headed to Philadelphia for my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. It will be spent with my wonderful Uncle, Aunt, and extended family. Honestly, it is not too much of a stretch that this is my favorite holiday if you think about it. It a holiday all about being happy, healthy, and eating way too much.

No wonder it is my favorite.



This Thanksgiving is going to be different for me though. Thanksgiving is a holiday about being grateful for what you have and not taking it for granted. I think I will have a wonderful experience helping those who are not doing as well.

As everyone should remember, the northeast just had a doozy of a hurricane sweep through the area, devastating a lot of people. It was especially bad on the coast of New Jersey. Well I have been told that I will be working with my Aunt and Habitat for Humanity to help a portion of Long Beach Island. They got hit really badly by the storm and many people’s homes are just decimated.



I must say I am honored to be asked to help with this project. Not many people think about what they really have and do not have. I think this will give me some honest time to receive some fresh perspective. I don’t have it so bad. A nice warm futon, good food, and fancy mugs are not things to have sticks shaken at. 
 Plus, they are at the point where they break down the ruble and haul it out. This means annihilating houses. There is nothing better than destroying something to get extra aggression out. Who needs yoga when you can smash a wall with a baseball bat?

Update: When I went up to New Jersey, instead of destroying houses we sorted clothing at a local shelter. It was actually a lot of fun, and everyone was really nice. Here are a few pictures:





Anyway, tomorrow when you are eating turkey in the warmth of your home, take a moment to think about the people who don’t have somewhere to go right now.  Everyone wants a nice warm home to eat tender, tasty turkey in. Oh and stuffing. And cranberry sauce.

Hamsters and Pie

Sarah Brescia

No comments:

Post a Comment